Firman has been quietly producing quality, dependable portable generators for a few years now, and the Firman P03602 4550/3650 is no exception. Today, we’re going to review the Firman P03602 and find out just how good this powerful yet dependable portable genset really is. Can a portable generator with impressive specs and reliability really be this affordable? Let’s find out if the Firman P03602 lives up to the hype.
At first glance, the Firman 4550/3650 looks like your run of the mill Champion generator, especially due to the black and yellow color scheme. While great looking, this Firman generator also packs some impressive features that other high-cost portable gensets usually have. No, the Firman isn’t a Honda or Yamaha quality generator, but it does offer a good all-around package when it comes what you’re getting compared to how much you’re spending. Furthermore, the customer service folks at Firman have been providing excellent customer service for Firman owners to solve any issues when it comes to warranty. This in itself puts them further ahead than many of its competitors which many other generator manufacturers are lacking.
Are Firman Generators Good Quality?
Judging by the latest reviews, the Firman 4550/3650 is generally a good all around portable generator, with most negative reviews having to do with loose hardware or ill fitting brackets, etc. We have seen a few negative reviews that pointed out fuel leaks, but all of these issues seem to be dealt with swiftly by the Firman customer service department which only adds the great value that Firman provides with these generators. As far as major failures are concerned (internal wear, failures, leaks, etc.), the Firman P03602 seems to be a pretty solid generator with very few issues reported among its owners.
Overall, we’d say the Firman 4550 watt generator offers incredible value for the money when it comes to quality and customer service.
Firman P03650 Specifications and Performance
The Firman 4550/3650 Watt generator offers impressive specs and performance for those looking for a good all-around portable generator to run an RV or simply use around the job site. It also produces enough power to serve as a decent home backup generator for those looking for a generator to run the home essentials. Let’s have a look at the Firman P03650 specs:
- 4550 Starting Watts and 3650 Running Watts
- 14 Hour Run Time @ 50% Load
- Noise Level: 68 dB
- 5 Gallon Fuel Tank
- 4 in 1 Data Minding Center (Volts, Hertz, Hours, Low Oil)
- Built In Fuel Guage
- Outlets: (1) TT-30R RV Ready 120V-30A; (1) L5-30R Twistlock 120V-30A; (2) 5-20R Duplex 120V-20A
- Recoil (Pull) Start
- Volt Lock Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR)
- Max Pro Series 208cc OEM FIrman Engine (Phoenix Flat Head Block)
- Low Oil Shutdown
- Whisper Series Muffler
- Comes with 8 inch never flat wheels and folding handle
- USDA Forest Service Approved Spark Arrestor
- Includes; Oil, Spark Plug Wrench, Shipping Bracket Wrenches, Funnel and Manual
- 117 lbs total weight
- 3 Year Warranty
As you can see, the Firman P03602 offers quite a few impressive features for it’s price point. As of this review, we can say that the 2 features that stand out from the rest are;
Quiet Operation – Its Wisper Series muffler does a great job reducing the amount of noise pollution this genset emits. Most users are quite surprised at the low level of noise (68 db) which falls well below the standard set by the National Parks Service.
Customer Service – Most people overlook just how important after sales service is, and Firman makes sure that its team is there for its customers when issues arise. On top of Firman’s excellent 3 year warranty offering, its customer service team is very responsive, dependable and fair.
Our overall review of the Firman 4550/3650 when it comes to its performance and specs is a solid 8/10. You’ll be hard pressed to find a portable generator under $500 that packs comparable features and benefits as the P03602.
What Will the Firman 4550 Generator Run?
One thing to keep in mind is that the Firman P03602 is spec’d out at 4550 starting watts and 3650 running watts. So with this in mind, what will this portable generator run? This all depends on the application you wish to use it for. Let’s have a look at a few different scenarios.
Recreational Vehicle (RV) – Most RV’s require between 2000 and 4000 watts to run all appliances, lights and other electrical devices within the trailer/motorhome. Smaller trailers (popups) require closer to 2000 while larger RV’s will require upwards of 4000 watts. With this in mind, the Firman 4550/3650 is well suited to run all types of RVs with relative ease.
Home Backup Electricity – Most houses require at least 5000-10,000 running watts of electricity to operate all appliances full time without issue. Looking for a generator to run your fridge, central air, well pump, microwave, lights, freezer, etc? The Firman P03602 is too small to handle these types of loads. However, if you’re just looking to run the essentials (fridge, lights, laptop) than this portable generator will suit you just fine.
Job Site – For most job sites, the Firman 4550/3650 will suit any tradesman just fine as most power tools and equipment are seldom used simultaneously. That being said, if you’re planning on running a cement mixer, air compressor and power saw while charging up your cordless batteries – all at the same time – you may run into issues. However, this is seldom the case. Just make sure your equipment surge watt specs fall within the 4550 starting watts that this Firman portable generator offers.
The Firman P03602 is a good all-around portable generator that’s well suited for a variety of applications. As long the user ensures all appliances fall within the specs of the 4550 starting watts and 3650 running watts that this Firman offers, they’ll be happy with the overall performance of this genset.
Pros and Cons of the Firman P03602
The Firman P03602 4550/3650 is by far not a perfect generator for all applications. However, for those who wish to settle for “good enough” for their off-grid power needs, this Firman portable generator does a heck of a good job. Here are some pros and cons of the Firman P03602:
- Above average quality – Firman does a great job to ensure its generators are fit to produce reliable power straight off the production line.
- Affordability – Compared to other similar brands with the same specifications, the Firman 4550 comes in at a very good price point (under $500).
- Run Time – The Firman P03602 has a larger than average fuel tank capacity (5 Gallons) which allow it to run longer. Most similar brands have smaller fuel tanks (3 gallons).
- Customer Service – The folks at Firman offer top-notch customer service. Have a problem with your Firman? Give them a call 24/7, and there will be someone available to help you out.
- Warranty – Firman’s 3 year warranty stands out from the rest of the pack – this is likely the best warranty you’ll find among its competitors.
- Made in China – Hopefully Firman brings its manufacturing to the west in the future. Unfortunately, Firman generators will be produced in China for the time being.
- Constant Engine Speed – The Firman P03602 does not vary its engine RPM based on load. So, even at minimum load, the engine will run at the same speed as it does under higher loads.
- No Electric Start – The Firman 4550 relies on a recoil starting system (pull start). Hopefully they offer an electric start with remote feature in the future.
Who Makes the Engines for Firman Generators?
Most generator manufacturers outsource their engine production to 3rd party manufacturers who specialize in engine design, manufacturing and production – but Firman breaks that tradition. In fact, Firman (who is owned by the company Sinomach) have designed and produced engines for companies such as Kohler and Ridgid, just to name a few.
So, as you would expect, Firman actually designs and produces their own engines, and puts them through a variety of quality and performance tests before shipping them to market. These tests include:
- 500 minimum hours of test on all new models before production even starts.
- All generators are tested in a hot/cold room to simulate a variety of freezing/hot operating environments.
- Tests performed in a pressurized room to simulate different elevations where potential consumer may live.
- Each unit is run for at least 12 minutes before being shipped to market to ensure optimal reliability and performance.
Where are Firman generators made/manufactured? Most Firman generators are made in China. So, for those of you who’d prefer a brand whose roots are traced back to the good old USA (or, insert your country here), we’re sorry to disappoint you. However, you’ll be surprised to hear that most other generators (and their parts within) are also made in China, so it’s no surprise that Firman also does the same.
Final Review of the Firman P03602 4550/3650
The Firman P03602 is a solid performer for the price point. A good all-around generator for those who want something affordable that they can bring to the campsite, job site, tail gate party or to power up their RV. This generator is quiet enough to bring camping (68db) while offering enough power to serve as a home back up generator for those looking to run the essentials in an emergency situation. Pair this with top-notch customer support and after sales service, and we have a solid performing portable generator that’s well worth the money.